Sunday, November 02, 2008

New Beaded Dragon Work

As always; starting with 'storyboard' Dragon is 16" H x 10" W. He will be placed as an off-center motif in a larger wall quilt that I'm still designing. In the storyboard you see the scales behind his head; those are being made individually out of orange/red silk and will be 3-D. I have other silk & some beautiful heavy brocaide tapestery fabric that will finish the 'frame'. I've had much fun beading him and will be adding more of the peacock scales (sequins) around his jaw area to bring that color out. And yes; each bead (and or sequin) is sewn on by hand one bead at a time.





The teeth were hand sculpted with sculpey. I 'scored' them to give them more reality. Then played with painting them to match the gold beads.



Ellen's close up shots are the bomb!




Those sequins that are black with the stars are halographic. I hand cut each one from a circle to the 'eye' shape you see then hand hole punch an additional hole to secure both ends.



The bead that started it all: The eye. For mother's day this year Ellen surprised me with a trip to the bead store. On limited funds of my own I passed over this bead and when we got home Ellen presented it to me. She had paid for it out of her own money. My daughter is the best! (A plethera of other words come to mind but that will suffice)

13 comments:

  1. That is awesome. I'm speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is seriously beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Stacy! GORGEOUS!! wow. I'd cook for you anytime :) Just to look at your beautiful beading/quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gals! And Lys; yer on! It'd be so(sew) much easier not to have to worry about that chore :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I am lusting after your dragon.

    Beautiful, beautiful dragon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What incredible work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ::wolf whistle:: That is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:04 AM

    What gorgeous beadwork! I am truly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Holy crow, Stacy! Your work is always a pleasure to see, but this piece is beyond words! This goes beyond fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy...totally fantabulous! I'm putting together a lecture on the Decorated Quilt, Beads, Embellishments and other treasures... I wish he were DONE so I could include him NOW... but since he's not, would you consider sending jpegs whenever you DO get done for me to include???? The variety, selection and use of the beads if perfect!

    Cheers and thanks, Sarah
    sarah@sarahannsmith.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What can I say but -- wow! I am in awe. I love dragons too -- and this one is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thats incredible! Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to touch him - he is amazing. I love the texture and colours.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you xoxo!