Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Meeting Miss Esmeralda (Weatherwax)

Miss Esmeralda Weatherwax (The name I have given her) was confiscated along with over 150 birds and dogs & cats from a hoarder in the L.A. area.  She was in the shelter for month with severe ear mites; upper respitory infection; conjunctivitis; anemia; loss of fur and a host of other blood issues due to malnutrition; sitting for days on end in her own urine and feces. She has open mouth sores and lost several teeth. She favors her front left paw that she rarely puts down and walks on it funny when she does.   

The first two photos are what the shelter posted in April 2016.    I first saw her come up on my facebook page and for reasons unknown to me I could not keep scrolling.  (for heavens sake I really thought perhaps I was becoming a hoarder too after all I have three of my own cats and am currently fostering a mom & 5 kittens!)  On a moment of impulse I emailed my rescue coordinator and asked if we could help this poor darling girl. It was 1230 am.  I got an email back almost immediately (apparently I'm not the only one with insomnia) saying she would see what she could do in the morning. 

Next day we were told we could take as long as we understood the risks.  They sent her 19 page medical history over.  I was still undaunted.  There was nothing in there saying she wasn't likely to survive but it didn't really say she was out of the woods by a long way. 

Working thru the rescue I work with here in the OC we were able to spring her and by the following morning she was being picked up in L.A. from the shelter and transported here to the rescue vet in Santa Ana. 

She was given some antibiotics and released to my care that evening. And that's really where our story begins. 





The two bottom photos above were after her first bath.  Yes she's wearing a flannel dress I made her to keep her warm as her furs were all off her back. 

She already looked a 1000 times better!  

I was able to take her to my vet for a thorough examination this past Monday. Here she is with a size perspective.  She is 8 years old, front declaw. Cornish Rex.  

At the time of her appt. I had given all the medical records to Dr. Horn my family vet.  He said her respiratory infection required a different kind of antibiotic to really beat it back.  Thus far she had only been given some doxycyline (a few rounds) and it wasn't helping which is why I scheduled the appt. 
He said (and I agreed) we needed an xray of that foot to see what was going on though he seemed to be able to tell just by feeling there was a broken bone fragments in there.  That is when I took some friends advice and started her GoFundMe page. (button at top right).  I initially thought it would be for  her sedation, dental and tooth extractions.  Turns out... 


 there were three broken bones! 


If you picture that as your own hand, I mean to say.  Miss Esme is truly a bad ass to only have a limp with all that unrepaired and what must be painful damage.  
Dr. Horn referred her xrays to an ortho surgeon.  He will in turn give us an estimate.  Dr. Horn says the two likely outcomes will be 1. Surgery with pins or 2. Surgery with bone fusion.   

Since folks are still donating and it's only been a week, I'm leaving her gofundme open.  You can also donate direct thru paypal if you prefer to stacyhurt at rocketmail dot com. 

Her furrs are coming back in on her back. She will always have a short nap.  I call them Marcel waves.  She's a curlie girle! 



She needs to be touching me always.




Here she is meeting The Queen. HRH Ms. Stella O'Houligan. 
Enough for now.  More updates to follow.  

xoxo


11 comments:

  1. My human and I are SO glad you rescued this girl! My human saw the post about her too and was just destroyed that she couldn't help her. So you can imagine how overjoyed she was (and me too) when you came to her rescue. I'm so glad she is finally able to enjoy some happiness with you, and that soon her more serious medical issues will be worked on so that she can be pain free. Esme is a little miracle (but then, I'm sure you already know that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Esme is so lucky you rescued her.
    She is a very pretty kitty, and now she has a chance for happiness.
    Thank you for saving her :)
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ
    and mum Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so precious! Thank you for taking her in! She must have some Cornish Rex in her somewhere to be such a cute curly girly! Give her a smooch for us! We are purring for that foot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Miss Esmeralda, life is going to get so much better..

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Esme is with you and that she knows the love that she deserves. You rock, Miss Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. miss esme...we R troo lee sorree bout what ewe N everee one wented thru
    but we R VEREE HAPPEE yur in a good foreverz home now....we cross 984 paws
    that yur paw will get fixed & yur knot in any pain....ewe bee a gorgeouz gal
    ...we send hugs & loves ♥♥♥♥♥ welcome & happee bee lated gotcha day ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor baby! She is so lucky that you have given her a home and she will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purrs to Miss Esmeralda as she gets healthy. We are so happy to see that she has found her forever home with you. It's pretty obvious there is a lot of love already.

    Sasha, Sami, & Saku

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom here: I know you already know how much I love your babies and you as well. I never made it a secret. And Ms Stella O'Houligan was and still is our hero here in this home. She and Admiral are Sistahs and I can only imagine their Queendom at the Bridge!! Whew.

    I admire you so much for what you are doing for this precious blameless innocent girl. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. If I have tears forming as I type, it's because pf your brave warrior soul and how grateful I am for you in the world to help this little girl and all the others. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an angel by rescuing Esme. I hope she can get the help she needs and will have a long life with you.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you xoxo!